Thursday, November 4, 2010

16th October 6 hour Ebusu Endurance Race - Simon Batters (1st of 4 drivers).


Fresh from attending the Japanese Grand Prix and [for me] a record 9hr trip home from Nagoya to Yokohama the previous Monday I was on the road again along with the tools and trolley jack etc to support TGR over the 6hr race luckily Luckily Steve came along and helped with the driving, we arrived in Koreyama around 11pm in time to catch the other guys and set out for a nightcap, after walking around trying to find a decent bar, we had a near miss outside a Philippino bar called Bacarlaccarlaccaca..... We settled for a few beers instead I finally hit the pillow at one am only to be woken at 3am by Miguel wanting to talk about the race car, well actually was I sober enough to drive it to a car park!

Race day and the alarm signaled that it was 4:30am and time to get up; we arrived at the circuit in time to wait with everyone else while the lady with the keys was late. We were allocated the rear of pit 18 and I unloaded the van and parked up and started to prepare for my stint which would be the first, this would be the third time I have started our race. After setting up the TraqMate equipment prepared my drinking system, flushing out my pipes with Pepsi.

Miguel Qualified the car and did a great job as heavy traffic can block you having a clear run and the track tends not to be so fast early in the morning, Miguel seemed a little disappointed with his time but it was plenty fast enough giving us 17th position on the grid of 39 cars and 3rd position in our class.

At 9:30 it was time to set out for the grid, this was the first time I had driven the car since my last stint in the August race and it felt a much more responsive and sharper the engine felt a little stronger too possibly due to the cooler air. There is something very satisfying in arriving at the grid a little later than most and having to weave your way past 22 other cars and their entourage to take your position, as usual I stayed in the car belted up with about 15 minutes to go as usual, all my TGR team-mates came and took pictures and offered encouragement we also had a visit from the race queens.

I really like the time before the start, the calm before the storm, sitting snugly in the car as the anticipation and tension mounts around you as you plan your route in the mayhem that will be the first lap it is strangely relaxing.

The endurance races start with a rolling start where you must maintain position until you cross the start line, well we were off and it was fairly well mannered but crowded I remember it was about three abreast into the first corner and through the chicane and two about two abreast for the rest of the lap then it settled down.

I then followed my lap plan which was about using as little brakes as possible and keeping the tyres stress free whilst going as quick as possible, for me this should equal 1m 13s to 1m 14s laps and trying to limit my braking and accelerating to when the front wheels are in the straight ahead position. I think this is key to getting an even wear across the tread of the front wheels so that they can last the full six hours and avoid a tyre change which would cost at least 2/3 laps and possibly a place lost in class.

I know the behaviour of a lot of the drivers in the field when I recognise the cars so I can anticipate what they will do, for example, I can control where faster cars can pass without slowing me down and quickly pass slower cars without getting stuck behind them, although where car/drivers are very evenly matched there is an opportunity for some great battles, I had some great battles especially with an MX5 where we traded places many times.

After about 1hr 15mins [my session was set for 1h 30m] the fuel gauge started to hit 'E', as I passed the pits I sounded the horn, this is our signal to pit, but could not see anyone from TGR so I lapped again sounded the horn again, this time I had some fuel starvation and had to pit my entry to the pits was very fast and upset the marshals but the team were ready and I got out feeling pretty good, I later learned that I finished my stint 3rd in class and 15th overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Support the team...