Saturday, August 1, 2009

Motorola Radios!

First - I think what's left is for the group to come up with a list of items we will need during the race, as well as finding a few items WE STILL NEED like a folding table (anyone reading this anyway?)

Ok- to radios - I ordered these radios only a few days agao, and they've already arrived! Supposedly have a range of upto 35 miles - but probably more like 2 in mountain terrain, which is fine by me. (the watt rating is only 1.5W it turn out - which is well under the 5W limit Ebisu circuit imposes).



Here is the headset for the pit crew chief (list of duties and clipboard to come!)


This is a driver headset with a "throat mic" - apparently translates the vocal cords into speech, so ideal for noisy situations like motorcyling and motorsports. We shall see...


Of course, I don't want that ick from Tom's ear to be inserted BACK into my own ear, so I got everyone their own earpiece. Although to be honest the ear plugs are a bit small and not too comfortable. I may modify mine with my own ear plugs.


Finally - in case for some reason the throat mic concept is better in theory than in execution - I went out and got this too - a standard helmet set up - although the problem is this is really for open face helmets, so we will have to squeeze the mic into the helmet somehow - and we'll have to figure out a way to swap out the unit during driver changes!


Sunday will be a welcome break for Alex and me - we will not be at Camp Zama to work on the car. However, will be at my local home center to pick up a few things like fire extinguishers, etc. Need to come up with that list - we have less than 2 weeks left!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Support the team...